Take the 2-minute tour ×
Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users and developers of hardware and software for Raspberry Pi. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Despite some research on the web, I cannot find the options available from these "opportunity" holes on the Rpi.

I probably do not use the proper words to identify them.

  1. What is the name for this type of hole ?
  2. What are the usage for the correspondence A, B C "opportunity" ?

Available holes for extra connections

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 14 down vote accepted

I think you would call them P*-Headers, where the * designates which one exactly (5/2/3/6).

What you call Opportunity B is known as the P5-Header, and you can use it just like the GPIO-Pins next to it (see also this link).

Opportunity A (P6) can be used to reset your Raspberry Pi: Shorten it it reset. Be careful, though, as doing this while your SD-Card is active (writing), may damage the card.

Opportunity C consists of two seperate Headers: P2 (closer to the GPIO) and P3 (closer to the USB/network connectors).

P2 is used during production of the board and is called "VideoCore JTAG", but cannot be used by the arm processor.

P3 is called "LAN9512 JTAG" and is used by manufacturers to debug a device.

You can find some more information about so called "low-level-Peripherals" here.

share|improve this answer
Exactly info what I was looking for, this will help go further. Thanks –  Alain Apr 1 '14 at 14:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.