Here is the Java SE Embedded Setup:
- In the host computer’s web browser go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/downloads/javase/index.html. The web page might have changed in detail since this article was written.
- In the Java SE Embedded 7 column, click EABI, VFP, SoftFB ABI, Little Endian. A survey page appears.
- Complete the survey and click Submit. A verification page appears.
- Examine the verification page for correctness (in particular, your email address), then click Submit. In a short time, an email from JavaSE-Embedded-LinkNotify appears in your inbox.
- Click the link in the email. Another download page appears (some details might have changed since this article was written):
- Select Accept License Agreement, then click the link in the ARMv6/7 Linux - Headless row.
NOTE: At the time this article was written, the ARMv7 Linux - Headful software had not been tested on the Raspberry Pi. The ARMv7 Linux - Headless - Server Compiler software does not work on the Raspberry Pi because that software requires an ARM v7 chip.
- Save the
.gzfile to your
Login over the network to the Raspberry Pi as user pi, and create a directory for the Java download:
$ ssh pi@RaspberryIP mkdir /home/pi/java
Copy the Java download to the new directory on the Raspberry Pi:
$ scp ~/Downloads/*.gz pi@RaspberryIP:/home/pi/java
Unpack the Java download:
$ ssh pi@RaspberryIP
$ cd /home/pi/java
$ tar -zxvf *.gz
$ ls ejre*
$ cd ejre*
$ ./bin/java -version
java version "1.7.0_04-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment for Embedded (build 1.7.0_04-ea-b20, headless)
Java Hotspot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode)
Some details, such as version and build numbers, might have changed since this article was written.
Optionally, remove the download file:
$ rm /home/pi/java/*.gz