I am going camping in a few months and I want to build a motion sensor alarm for my tent entrance for while I am asleep. Chances are nothing will set off the alarm, but if a bear or coyote comes sniffing around my tent I want a headstart. So the device needs to be able to see in the dark, set off an alarm if there is motion and maybe (but this last part is optional) it takes a photo when the alarm goes off. I can program in python so I will use that. One last thing that you probably figured out from the description: the device needs to run on battery power.
What I Have:
- the pi + plenty of wires for connecting the GPIO
- an external battery power source that takes 4 AA batteries (but I do not think that will be strong enough so I'll probably have to get a new one)
- The idea
- Experience writing python programs.
What I Need:
- Pi Camera w/ Night Vision or some sensor that will work
- A new, stronger power source
- Some software that already work as a motion alarm for the pi
Ideally I would find a well-documented open-sourced project for this, buy the equipment list, download their software, build it and be done but I didn't see one when I looked. I am not completely against figuring this out as I go and writing my own program, but a documented project would be better. Anyone know of such a project or the pieces I need to buy to do this?