Recently got a Raspberry Pi 4, and want to configure it to boot from a SSD I have.
I am new to linux, so I may not be doing this right, but I have followed instructions on several guides I found online (such as this one) and tried to read a bit about it.
In the last attempt, when I removed the SD card and rebooted using SSD, it said
Missing/empty 'fixup4rc.dat' and
recovered4.elf: is not compatible
USB-MSD boot requires newer software.
These are the steps I did in my final attempt after re-installing noobs on the Raspberry Pi.
I updated the OS using:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
- Then I edited /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update** and changed the release status to "stable".
- I downloaded the latest version of the bootloader.
- Deleted partitions on the SSD and created a new one (ext4)
- Used the SD card copier to copy the SD card to the drive
- Copied all the .dat and .elf files** from pi to SSD boot folder
- Shut down Pi, removed SD, and rebooted with only SSD
I would like to ask for steps to correctly format SSD, and to know if there are any details I should be paying attention to.
If it's not too much trouble, I would also like to know how to format the SSD, since I can no longer see it on windows when I plug it in, and the Pi deleted some of the partitions, and wont delete the others.
Thanks again for helping out.