What do I want:
- A running xen on a headless raspberry 4 preferably running from the external hdd (but i'm already glad if it runs from an SDcard.)
So what do I have:
- a raspberry pi 4 with 4 gigs
- a thinkpad with intel i5 and 8 gigs of ram in it. OS is archlinux
- an SD card (32Gigs)
- an external HDD drive (I've tried to make this work with SD, because I was affraid that it might complicate things more, but ultimately I'd like to run my raspi from this hdd. I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I remember that it did when I first played around with my raspberry)
and what I don't have:
- micro hdmi and compatible monitor
- and i lost my clear mind...
It would be too much of a task to list all the things I tried, but my last attempt was to get this script working.
[EDIT4 I opened an issue on the github repo, and I managed to make the script working. See the github issue link, if you ran into the same problem. Although I managed to get over this bump, my question is still relevant, since I still don't know how to go forward from here. See continuation of the "EDIT4" at the bottom of the post]
So will this script turn my dreams true? If so, what do I need to make it work, and what are the extra steps I need to make to adjust it for a headless configuration? Or you can provide me the instructions I should follow to make it work ( I'd prefer this way, so I'll actually know what I'm doing. Generally I don't like letting a script do magic for me so I can learn, but this time I got to a point when I don't really care I just want to make this finally work. )
Not strictly relevant
I know I should list the other things that I've tried here, but I'm trying to get this work for days, and I'm asking this question here because I'd like to get instructions about in what order should I do things. I've tried to use parts of various articles to learn what should I do, but the result was that I just got more confused. Probably I wasn't so unsure about things If I know what differentiates raspberry from a "normal" desktop computer other than it has a different chip. I guess I should also know more about bootloaders in general too. Trial and error gets pretty nerv wrecking with headless configurations, but on the other hand I got aware of the things I took for granted before. I'll list the articles I thought might be helpful for the problem.
Sources I was trying to use, but got confused by them instead:
- Creating disk images for raspberry pi
- Xen beginners guide
- Hacking xen to a raspberry
- Chrooting from amd64 to aarch64
- Debian wiki on qemu-user-static
- and others of similar fashion with snippets of useful information...
[EDIT4: I managed to create the image. I didn't get much further though, I put the sd card, and after booting (I'm headless, so by booting I mean "intensive led flash parade") it get's to a state where the red led is off, the green have really short - I'd say "nano" to empathize how short - flashes. It would be great to know at least what stage I've got now.]