this topic is totally out of my comfort zone. I have ordered some Raspberry PI books to help me bring me up to speed but I would like to ask whether it is possible to connect Windows Embedded XP to Raspberry (assuming I use a crossover cable), write an app for Windows XP but use the internet connection available on the Raspberry device.

I envisage the Raspberry device will have a WiFi dongle attached to it.

Is this scenario possible at all? I need to do this programmatically and not by user intervention.

  • I just found this: raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/10054/… will this be the way to go?
    – user11286
    Dec 15 '13 at 16:50
  • 1
    You haven't exactly said so, but I assume you want to connect the XP system to the Raspberry via Ethernet and connect the Raspberry to a router with an internet connection via WiFi. In that case, you'll just need to create a network bridge between the ethernet and WiFi interfaces on the Raspberry.
    – n.st
    Dec 15 '13 at 21:20
  • Hi, thanks fro replying. There is to be no router involved re: "assuming I use a cross-over cable" I have not got the hardware through yet but they had told me that the Raspberry will connect to Windows XP (via an emulator) and that the Raspberry will have a wifi dongle attached to it. If it was using a router then it would be easy to do a connection using the bridge methodology...
    – user11286
    Dec 16 '13 at 10:05
  • If you don't have a router, what else will be providing the WiFi the Raspberry will connect to? "via an emulator" -- what kind of emulator? It would be really helpful if you could update your question with some more information about the hardware you will be using.
    – n.st
    Dec 16 '13 at 15:36
  • 1
    That depends largely on your setup, so I can't give you much advice without knowing some more details about it. You can easily bridge two network interfaces on Linux (even Windows can do that with a reasonable amount of effort), but you'll need a WiFi dongle for which there are driver for Linux on an ARM processor, and you will need to know (and perhaps tell us) what kind of cross-over cable you want to use -- as I said, I'm guessing it will be an ethernet cable, but there are also cross-over cables for RS232, as well as other interfaces.
    – n.st
    Dec 16 '13 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy