I have a program that runs with Processing 2.2.1. I have downloaded Processing 2.2.1 from the Download page, but the Java included in the program is not compatible with the Raspberry Pi.

https://hackaday.io/project/7008-fly-wars-a-hackers-solution-to-world-hunger/log/21887-raspberry-pi-2-b-and-processing-221 I am following the article from this link and it seems that Java 7 is not available from Raspbian Buster, which is the version I'm using.

Is there any way to install Java 7 on Raspbian Buster? If not, how could I run Processing 2.2.1 on Raspbian?

The model I am using is Raspberry pi 3B+.

  • Is the code meant to run on a Pi? How is it incompatible? The solution is very unlikely to be to install an outdated version of Java. Commented Apr 16, 2021 at 9:05
  • No, the code is originally meant to run on a pc, but since it runs with Processing and as Processing can run on a Pi, I thought it was worth a try. Also the Java embedded in Processing is incompatible with the pi, so Processing fails to launch.
    – zetamoon
    Commented Apr 16, 2021 at 11:17

1 Answer 1


There is a libprocessing-core-java package in Raspbian/RpiOS, but the current version is 1.2.1-2 for both the 32-bit and 64-bit Buster repos.

I don't think you specially need to install java 7 for this. The default JRE/JDK (8 on 32-bit and 11 on 64-bit) should be fine.

If you want to download a precompiled Processing newer than the distro version, use the "Linux ARMv6hf" package from here for version 3.5.3. Hopefully it is backward compatible with code for 2.2.1 because there is no package for that (the plain "Linux 32-bit" will not work). While Processing is apparently open source and therefore in theory could be compiled on the Pi, I think that a task best avoided.

  • Thank you for the detailed reply.
    – zetamoon
    Commented Apr 17, 2021 at 4:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.