Being the noob that I am, I seemed to have changed the permissions of /usr not knowing the consequence of that action. That's pretty much locked me out of my system, not allowing me to do anything.

Reading up more on this, it sounds like a very bad thing that will probably cause me to have to reinstall my OS. Is there a way I can fix this in any way without reinstalling or at least saving my settings? If I have to redo all my server settings again I might cry.

1 Answer 1


Try to revert the change using

sudo chmod 755 /usr

Edit: If you haven't changed the permission recursively before, don't do it now!

If that is not possible, shut down the the raspberry and mount the SD card on another computer to perform the change.

In that case, please don't use the path above!

But do not wipe the system until you are really sure it is fully broken.

  • What command would I use once my sd was mounted to another computer? Same permissions with a different file path? Commented Feb 8, 2014 at 7:36
  • It still would be chmod with -R to be sure that it is recursive and 755 (that is rwxr-xr-x) but you have to use another path, because the /usr of your SD card is now mounted somewhere else. Otherwise, you would mess around with the other computer too ;) Good luck! Commented Feb 8, 2014 at 7:39
  • Do you think I could jus boot of a CD into Ubuntu and do this? I don't currently have any linux distros installed on a proper computer. Commented Feb 8, 2014 at 7:50
  • I would give it a try! If that doesn't work, put the SD card aside and do it at a friends PC. Just don't kill it without saving all the setups you have spent so much time on. Commented Feb 8, 2014 at 7:55
  • @AlexanderLozada -R probably is not necessary and maybe even harmful. If you haven't used it before, better don't use it now. Commented Feb 8, 2014 at 19:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.