So I've been smashing my face against this for the last few hours. I'm not terribly familiar/comfortable with linux yet, so I'm sure I missed some obvious fix. When I attempt sudo apt-get update, I get this:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye InRelease [15.0 kB] Get:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf Packages [13.2 MB] Ign:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf Packages Get:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf Packages [18.2 MB] Ign:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf Packages Err:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf Packages Connection timed out [IP: 22.214.171.124 80] Fetched 15.0 kB in 1min 9s (218 B/s) Reading package lists... Done E: Failed to fetch http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbia ... f/Packages Connection timed out [IP: 126.96.36.199 80] E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
As far as I can tell, it's managing to make contact, briefly start to download, and then gets throttled/dies? I've tried to turn off firewalls/enable port forwarding on the router, but I suspect that's not the issue, as it's making contact in the first place (I think at least).
OS I'm running:
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)" NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux" VERSION_ID="11" VERSION="11 (bullseye)" VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye ID=raspbian ID_LIKE=debian
Any help would be amazing, I'm at a loss and am clearly out of my depth. Imagine a small toddler drowning in a puddle.
Sources appeared to be the same,
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list #deb http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/raspbian/raspbian bullseye main contrib non-free rpi deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ bullseye main contrib non-free rpi #Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source' #deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ bullseye main contrib non-free rpi
As you can see, I did attempt a different mirror, to no change. Sudo apt update resolved the same as apt-get, in that it looked to begin the download, then quickly just stopped. Just a moment ago, I went to http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/dists/bullseye/ in chromium and downloaded the contents-armhf.gz files as suggested, which seemed to display the same issue: the download starts with a slow download speed of (about)7 kb/s dropping quickly to 0 B/s. Occasionally it would just up to a couple kb/s, but then just goes back to 0. Eventually it just fails and lists the reason as
Failed -Network error.
As a test, I went to the same page and downloaded the same file with firefox on my windows pc. The download went smoothly, no issues. The raspberry pi is connected to the network wirelessly, so I'm off to plug it into the router with ethernet, will update with results.
Update 2: No luck, a physical connection did not resolve it.
Update 3: The information from ip addr and ip route below. It should be noted that for this, I moved it back to wireless so it wasn't cluttering up the counter by the router.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ip addr 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000 link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever inet6 ::1/128 scope host valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000 link/ether b8:27:eb:11:8c:54 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000 link/ether b8:27:eb:44:d9:01 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff inet 10.0.0.15/24 brd 10.0.0.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlan0 valid_lft 86165sec preferred_lft 75365sec inet6 fe80::a1dd:5e09:5682:f612/64 scope link valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ip route default via 10.0.0.1 dev wlan0 proto dhcp src 10.0.0.15 metric 303 10.0.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto dhcp scope link src 10.0.0.15 metric 303
Addendum to update 3: DHCP on the router is up, and from what I can see (it's a bit weirder than others I've had), it does seem to have an active lease. I should mention that the rpi is able to browse the internet well enough, and I'm accessing it through vnc as well as ssh from my desktop.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ iwconfig lo no wireless extensions. eth0 no wireless extensions. wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"redacted even though no one would care" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.427 GHz Access Point: 9C:C9:EB:14:77:EF Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:on Link Quality=66/70 Signal level=-44 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:3 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0