I have noticed, that raspberry Pi’s are predictable in losing their Wifi-Connection permanently after the accesspoint was turned off (power off). I have tried multiple raspberrys (10+) and three different vendors of accesspoints and was able to monitor the following behaviour:

Raspberry Pi is losing connection to the accesspoint for an about 40% chance and cannot reestablish it. In an about 60% chance, the connection is reestablished automatically after the ap is powered on again. This means, that usually after 3-4 AP reboots, the connection is not alive on all tested raspis.


  • Raspberry Pi Zero W with Raspbian Jessie
  • WIFI-Country set to DE
  • Test scenario: AP is restarted every hour by timed switch. Stays of for 5 Minutes and is than powered on again.

Syslog-Output, when raspi is able to re-establish the connection (60% chance)


Syslog-Output, when raspi is NOT able to re-establish the connection (40% chance)


I think: It seems that dhcpcd does not realize that there is no physical wireless connection. An acquired is not even executed. Only a reboot or a restart of the network-stack solves the problem.

Ifconfig – Output (when NOT able to reestablish)


Iwconfig – Output (when NOT able to reestablish)


Wpa_cli status (when NOT able to reestablish)


systemctl status wpa_supplicant.service (when NOT able to reestablish)


I appreciate any help or ideas, that help me to point into the right direction to find the cause of the problem.

Thank you

  • please post text as text, not as a fuzzy screenshot ... use the edit button to update your post
    – jsotola
    Nov 20 at 16:21
  • Have you tried putting your configuration particulars under an interface wlan0 line in /etc/dhcpcd.conf?
    – Seamus


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.