My SD card seems to be running slow. I have an ADATA 16 GB SDHC Class 10 card. I checked the compatibility list which lists a card with similar specifications, and it states that it is "working". Even simple tasks like getting a directory listing on a small directory can take a few seconds the first time I request it. Are there any tools I can use to verify what kind of performance I'm getting out of my SD card? Also, are there any configuration changes I can make to get the SD card to respond faster?
I'm using the Raspberry Pi as a headless BitTorrent seedbox, so all the stuff I'm running into is just running on the command line. I'm using the 240/16 split to ensure that I have the maximum amount of memory available.
After running some tests as @Krzysztof Adamski recommended with "dd", I received some good results getting a read speed of 20 MB/s and a write speed of about 10 MB/s. However, it still seem to be having some I/O speed issues. When testing, I ran the "dd" commands in the background, and ran top, to see what was going on. I noticed that the "mmcqd" process was taking up quite a bit of processor usage, between 5% and 10%. I looked around on the Internet and found many instances of people reporting that "mmcqd" uses up quite a bit of the CPU. I then ran the following command to test reading and writing at the same time
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=test.dat bs=1M count=1024
When running this command I got a throughput of only 977 kB/s, and "mmcqd" reported processor usage between 10% and 25% every 5 to 10 seconds, after which it would go back down to nothing. So, I did some more testing. I ran the following two commands in the background, and then watch what was going in top.
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024 & sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1M count=1024 &
In this case "mmcqd" would peak around 35% processor usage, but the throughput was a lot better at around 7.5 MB/s for reading and around 5.3 MB/s for writing.
It seems that there is some kind of problem going on here where heavy writes cause the "mmcqd" to lock up the system. This causes transmission-daemon to slow down to almost zero as soon as it the speed gets too high as it waits for the SD card. When running transmission-daemon I also see the "mmcqd" usage get quite high.