I'm trying to configure my Raspbian to support console output in my native language (Polish). After updating my locale preferences (I chose
pl_PL.UTF-8 as my default locale), I ran a test - I typed some non-ASCII characters needed to represent strings in Polish, and saved them into a file:
It seems the default font doesn't support UTF-8, I guess... I downloaded the file and viewed it in a text editor on my Windows machine:
Well, that's exactly what I typed. But when I view the file via the SSH console (PuTTY), this is what I see:
How do I set a UTF-8-compatible font in the "physical" Raspbian console and how do I set up the SSH connection to display the characters properly?
I should make it clear that the problem touches all the console output, not only text file contents. This is the lower part of
nano's CLI interface:
And below are the correct spellings, taken from some other remote Ubuntu instance:
The same happens to any translated command line tool I run.
EDIT 2: Thanks to Steve Robillard, I set the remote character set in PuTTY to UTF-8, and now all the characters in my SSH console display properly. I didn't think it could be PuTTY's fault, because it was always working correctly with all the other machines I usually SSH into. I also thought the encoding is negotiated automatically... Wrong!
The problem with Raspberry's "physical" console (the one displayed on the screen connected directly via HDMI), however, still remains unsolved.
Answeing HeatfanJohn's request, here is the output of