I have several Raspberry Pis that need extra pressure on the SD card in order to boot up. I have a temporary fix that involves scraps of envelope flaps glued onto the card but they become unstuck over time. Does anyone have a better method of maintaining pin contact with their SD cards?

Pins look normal to me. Pins

Paper trick
Paper trick which sometimes works

  • On a Pi where the holder broke I glued a bit of plastic on top and, like you, use a bit of paper to hold the SD card securely.
    – joan
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 7:39
  • You could replace the slot? It's a bit of a fiddly job requiring soldering, but replacement slots are available from, for example 4tronix.co.uk. I've had to do this a few times and it's delicate work.
    – recantha
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 10:30
  • Could you supply a picture of your SD card slot?
    – Beta Decay
    Commented Sep 1, 2014 at 16:51
  • I had to resort to the paper-hack on a Point-and-shoot camera too, working well.
    – Ghanima
    Commented Sep 4, 2014 at 8:15

2 Answers 2


There are several ways to try to fix this:

1) If the pins are bent out of position you can use a needle to carefully bend them back.

2) You can stack the card with something. Thin plastic cut from a plastic folder is probably better than paper.

3) If nothing else works, you have to replace the slot.

If you suspect this is a result of tear because you insert and remove the SD-card a lot, I would suggest getting micro SD-cards and micro SD-card adapters. This would allow you to replace the (micro) SD-card without causing tear on your SD-card slot.

  • 1
    Using micro SD-cards is a good idea. Thanks for sharing. +1
    – Ghanima
    Commented Sep 4, 2014 at 8:15

I saw someone else posted this as a temporary fix but for me it is going to be permanent.

$3 clamp

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.