I notice that when I first turn on my pi, it says: "Hold down shift to run recovery mode". What does this do?
I assume you are using NOOBS.
Recovery mode lets you enter the NOOBS interface to do the following:
- Install selected operating systems onto your SD card.
- Edit configuration files for an operating system.
- Get online help (network required).
- Select the display language.
- Select the keyboard layout.
- Select the display mode (HDMI, composite etc.).
- Exit NOOBS and reboot the Pi into the operating system boot menu.