I've used Pi's for a couple minor projects but I have been wondering if the following was possible:
I'm hoping to utilize another Pi as part of a larger home automation project but I didn't know if it was feasible for a Raspberry Pi to essentially "listen" for particular devices to join the same local network that it is on?
The Pi is not the DHCP server or router by any means, just another device connected to the network. Can it listen for device names? MAC addresses? Device manufacturers?
- Pi is connected to MyLocalNetwork.
- Bob's Phone comes within range of MyLocalNetwork and joins accordingly.
- Pi "sees" Bob's Phone and executes some sort of script, web service call, etc.
- Pi "sees" Bob's Phone drop off of the network and executes something else.
- Pi "sees" a guest device with Apple as the manufacturer and responds accordingly.
Those are just some basic examples but I'm not aware of anything that passively listens for other devices on the network.
Is something like this possible?