I'm new to the RPI and have spent a couple of hours trying to do a headless install using NOOBS v1.4.0 on a RPI 2 (model B). Note that I need to perform a headless install because I only own a laptop and don't feel like buying a separate keyboard and monitor just to get familiar with this platform. Below is what I've done so far:
- Formatted Micro SD Card (8GB) and copied NOOBS files over.
- Connected Ethernet cable from RPI to router.
- Connected power to RPI. PWR LED turns on. ACT (activity?) LED starts flashing erratically. After a moment I also see the orange and green LEDs in the Ethernet port of the RPI.
- At this point my router's DHCP table shows the RPI's IP (192.168.1.113).
- I ping this IP and get a successful response.
- However, I try to SSH into it and get connection refused.
Using Nmap I was able to confirm I was indeed pinging the RPI. Furthermore, it says all 1000 scanned ports (first thousand) were closed... Wouldn't port 22 have been listed as open if the ssh server was running the the RPI?
nmap -p 1-1000 -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.113 Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-04-19 19:40 Eastern Daylight Time NSE: Loaded 118 scripts for scanning. NSE: Script Pre-scanning. Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 19:40 Scanning 192.168.1.113 [1 port] Completed ARP Ping Scan at 19:40, 0.50s elapsed (1 total hosts Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 19:40 Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 19:40, 0.02s elapsed Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 19:40 Scanning 192.168.1.113 [1000 ports] Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 19:40, 0.89s elapsed (1000 total ports) Initiating Service scan at 19:40 Initiating OS detection (try #1) against 192.168.1.113 Retrying OS detection (try #2) against 192.168.1.113 NSE: Script scanning 192.168.1.113. Initiating NSE at 19:40 Completed NSE at 19:40, 0.00s elapsed Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.113 Host is up (0.0019s latency). All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.1.113 are closed MAC Address: B8:27:EB:8E:FA:EC (Raspberry Pi Foundation) Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details Network Distance: 1 hop TRACEROUTE HOP RTT ADDRESS 1 1.89 ms 192.168.1.113
So, what other troubleshooting steps may I take to narrow down my problem?
Any hints/ideas are very much appreciated!