Is there any way to stream a random media (eg, a video from a random website for which no Kodi plugin exists, or a game running on the PC) to the Raspberry Pi? I'm using Kodi and can't seem to figure this out. Would having Plex Media Server on the PC and a Plex client on the Pi instead help? Can I somehow capture the whole screen and stream it via Nginx or something from the PC to the Pi?
What you are looking for is DLNA. Install DLNA server on your Pi.
You can then use VLC to stream your main display to the Pi using a DLNA stream.
- Not Pi specific but the same approach You can also use VLC on your PC to stream to DLNA (Pi, TV, Xbox PS4, Plex).
Some other considerations....
- I have used OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) - It has a bit of a learning curve to setup but you then stream locally, your Windows/ Mac desktop to a say VLC on the Pi using h264 encodding. Or OMX (since it uses hardware h264 decoding)
- Plex Media server does not support live restreaming, so to speak. I have tried this, and it kind of works with allot of hacks but is terribly slow and laggish.
- I dont really know what Kodi is, but it looks like a Plex type app.
- The Roku3 is really great to stream to. From Plex, VLC, Windows 8, XBOX, Android Miracast.