I know my problem is too vague to solve the root problem. Please help me on my way.
I have a Pi setup with owncloud. And a external hard drive with videos on it.
It just functions as a NAS. I use SFTP for all my connections.
But it (seemingly) crashes at random. It crashed last night when it was idling, and does so a few times a week. Pulling the plug and reinserting it creates a successful reboot.
It is up to date.
- It's a Pi 2 Model B.
- I tried 2 different power supplies for the Pi. Neither had problems with an older Pi model.
- The external drive is externally powered.
- I run the Pi headless.
- When it crashes I can't login or reach it in any way. The power LED is lit.
- Where should I look to narrow this down?
- What might I do the log this behaviour?
- Where is a place to get more specific support for this kind of broad, vague problems?
What helped so far
A comment made by Goldilocks to determine the difference if it really crashes or I just can log in.
/boot/config.txt; then plugging in a screen should show an input, and plugging in a keyboard and hitting the space bar a bit should show something on the screen (or not).
Now I at least see when it crashes. Follow-up question here.