Hopefully I am asking in the right place, being electrical and code, not sure. In short, I want to create a plug and play setup for different devices(mostly sensors and relays) to be attached.
Originally I paid someone to do this, and it technically works, but he wrote a custom protocol to do it. After talking with some other people, they mentioned a standard protocol I can maybe use, but forgot the name.
What I need to accomplish:
- 300ft communication via custom wired RJ45 cable (using for power ect, not tcp)
- When a device is plugged in, it should tell the system it's typeId and uniqueId
- Devices will have a typeId such as 1234 for all temperature sensors
- Devices will have a uniqueId so the Pi can differentiate between multiple of the same sensors.
- Virtually unlimited connected devices (so something like a 2wire setup won't work)
- Should only use a few gpio ports for all connections, not 1 for each device.
Mostly looking for a more standard protocol I can use vs a custom one if possible. All the code is C++ and some pic16 code right now. Still learning all this, so any direction would be helpful.
Thanx ahead of time.