I've been searching a while trying to find a way to have a Home Surveillance system using the RasPi, but unable to find a solution that includes all of the following. Would someone know of a solution that would have the following?
- Mutliple cameras (either networked or one connected to multiple RasPi)
- Video would use motion detection for recording (possibly using 'motion' or alternatives)
- While it could record the video locally to SD card, ideally it would archive the videos to a central location (e.g. networked storage, possibly dropbox?)
- Password protected web server that would allow the Admin (me) to manage settings centrally (e.g. sensitivity to motion detection)
- Alerts that a video was just captured (e.g. email)
- Ability to view/delete the captured video from a link received over email?
- Webcams to capture video from 2nd floor at night. Inexpensive preferred.
What I've done so far is setup a RasPi with motion and an inexpensive webcam, but the results is that motion keeps crashing. I've then purchased the MPEG2 license, thinking that may help motion, but no dice. So I started wondering if video recording was too much for RasPi?
My search turned very few projects on video surveillance and none with the features I'm looking for. I'm happy to put it together myself, just not sure the RasPi is robust enough for this task; so I'm open to suggestions/guidance.