Does anyone know what this cable is called?

Unknown cable

I am using it to attach some arcade controls to my Raspberry Pi, but it broke and I need a replacement. I can't figure out what it is called so I can order a new one.

  • Do you have a larger picture of the white end? it looks like a header socket of some description but its too small to really make out what sort. The Electronic SE folk might be able to identify it if thats the only picture there is.
    – user29019
    Commented Dec 4, 2016 at 22:43
  • Looks an awful lot like a USB to serial cable.
    – goobering
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 9:49
  • @goobering I thought the same thing at first glance and I suppose in a sense it must be, but that (9 or 10 pin connector) implies it is intended for something more specific. Dmitry seems to be correct that it's a "dupont header". Presumably some motherboards use them? Although this one looks to have a 5th wire which to me implies a full FTDI type thing.
    – goldilocks
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:07

3 Answers 3


This is a USB pin header cable. You can order one on e-bay (though you'll probably want a longer one compared to what I have found), or salvage it from an old USB mouse or keyboard.

Measure the distance between the pins in the white connector. Usually, it's 2.54 mm (aka Dupont pin header), but it may be one of these:

enter image description here

In the latter case, it may be harder to buy a replacement, but googling for "USB pin header" together with the pin-to-pin distance should still work.

  • More specifically I guess this is a "Dupont 9 pin" connector used by some motherboards.
    – goldilocks
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:08
  • @goldilocks You have good eyes! Anyway, motherboard connectors typically have a female USB plug, and this is a male one. Might as well be an expensive variation of El-Cheapo generic mouse cable. Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:19
  • 1
    Actually what I was going to add is that pic looks like it has 10 holes...dunno if that matters. The OP will have to have a look at whatever it is supposed to attach to anyway, hopefully there is enough info here to work that out.
    – goldilocks
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:22
  • @goldilocks Are you sure there are 10 holes? I added a pic to my post of what I guess it looks like. Of course, only the OP can tell for sure. Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:30
  • 1
    @goldilocks did you again squander our precious RPi.SE funds ordering CSI to enhance the image?
    – Ghanima
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 16:48

If the white plastic header didn't break, you can buy one that does NOT have the connector on the end, cut the wires from the old one near the end of the connector, leaving enough room, then solder and use heatshrink tubing over the cable to make it more robust....quick and easy.


In Chrome browser: Right click on your picture and choose "Search Google for image" - it returns a lot of results regarding Joystick cables and arcade games

  • 3
    While this might be helpful, it doesn't really answer the question and might be better placed as a comment.
    – goobering
    Commented Dec 5, 2016 at 9:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.