I am only a beginner at Linux-OS's so take this into consideration when you answer this question. I have noticed that my 32G SD card is partitioned into two sda# drives but I need to max out this device for 3D designs and I would like to partition the 32G SD into 6 sda# drives where 1=>2 are as formatted, but 4=>6 are different sizes(3.5,4,8,16). Is this possible.

  • 2
    You can add partitions, or re-partition your card. HOWEVER this will NOT "max" anything, and does not seem like a good idea. You should post the output of sudo fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0 (into your question - not as a comment) and explain what you are actually trying to achieve.
    – Milliways
    Commented Jan 15, 2017 at 23:36

1 Answer 1


You can definitely partition the SD as you desire. You will need gparted to accomplish your goal.

Use gparted to create an extended partition. Inside the extended partition, create as many logical partitions as you need.

You can only use gparted to modify unmounted partitions. If you are going to use your Raspberry Pi to modify the SD card, you will need a second SD card to boot from and an SD card reader for the 32 GB SD card.

Make sure that all partitions on the 32 GB SD card are unmounted by looking at the output of mount. You can use fdisk -l and blkid to identify which card is the 32 GB SD card.

  • David Cullen: Thank you for your time and knowledge! *****
    – DC Bradley
    Commented Jan 20, 2017 at 15:04
  • 1
    @DCBradley: If this answer solved your problem, please see What should I do when someone answers my question?.
    – user46953
    Commented Jan 20, 2017 at 15:11
  • Thanks again. I hope I voted correctly! Uum I guess others that add comments also have the chance to vent too. Take Care Dave! You are a knowledgeable person and helpful.
    – DC Bradley
    Commented Jan 21, 2017 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.