I have a Pi 3 and I have just recently ordered a touch screen for it, I put the screen on the GUI prong things and then plugged it in with a Raspbian micro SD card and the screen turned on and just stayed white. Help? MY screen is Stutu 3.5" Touch Screen for Raspberry Pi 3 and the version of Raspbian is Raspberry Pi 16GB Preloaded (NOOBS) SD Card, Pre-installed, Class 10 - Raspberry Pi Recovery System
Per the Amazon product page to install the driver (edited for readability):
Download the Raspbian image (2017-06-21-raspbian-jessie.zip)
Note: this will not work with any system using noobs.
Download the 3.5 inch display driver here
- Download the Raspberry Pi Win32DiskImager then get (Win32DiskImager.zip)
- Write the Raspbian image to SD card, using Win32DiskImager
- copy LCD-show-170309.tar.gz into the SD card root directory
- In the SD card root directory create a new file called ssh
- Plug SD card into Raspberry Pi 3, boot the Pi, and use SSH to remote control the Pi, then execute this command :tar xzvf /boot/LCD-show-*.tar.gz
You can also download a disk image with the driver preinstalled (RPi-35inch-LCD-Raspbian-160728.7z). Simply burn the downloaded file to your SD card.
As this screen is using the waveshare driver their installation instructions may be clearer, and provide some additional usage and troubleshooting information.