- I downloaded: RASPBIAN STRETCH LITE
- wrote a disk image of it on my SD card (using Disk Utility's "restore to" feature).
- added a ssh file in the root of the boot volume
- connected my raspberry pi via ethernet to my Mac Pro desktop
- observed small green light flicker 2-3 times when power up the device (assuming it is booted)
- observe solid yellow & green lights by the pi's ethernet port
- In System Preferences > Sharing, I have activated Internet Sharing with "share your connection from Airpot", and "to computers using: Ethernet 2"
And I see that System Preferences > Networking shows Ethernet 2 with a "yellow light" that says "self-assigned IP" with 169.254.125.225 -- Seems like the problem?
If I try to change this to DHCP with a manual address (my mac pro desktop has the ip of 192.168.1.7) of 192.168.2.7... Then the System Preferences > Networking tab shows Ethernet 2 with a "green light", saying "Ethernet 2 is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.2.7."
So then I see:
>ifconfig | grep "inet " inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 inet 192.168.3.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255 inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255 inet 192.168.2.7 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255 inet 192.168.1.7 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255 inet 192.168.104.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.104.255 inet 172.16.162.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.162.255
and if I use nmap, I get:
>nmap -p 22 192.168.2.255/24 Starting Nmap 5.50 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-10-14 18:12 PDT Strange error from connect (64):Host is down