I installed it as a normal user with
wget https://download.jetbrains.com/python/pycharm-community-2017.3.3.tar.gz tar -xzf pycharm-community-2017.3.3.tar.gz mv pycharm-community-2017.3.3 pycharm rm pycharm-community-2017.3.3.tar.gz cd pycharm/bin ./pycharm.sh
The remaining installation steps are guided by a wizard:
- do not import settings
- accept license
- Darcula theme
- create a startup script
- install Markdown support
- confirm warning about granted permissions
- create a new project, create virtual environment
- wait for installation of setuptools, pip, wheels etc.
- close startup tips
- wait until indexing is done
- wait until skeletons are built
- wait until packages are scanned
So far, everything is fine.
However, even when all those steps have completed successfully, PyCharm hangs in several situations, e.g.
- when loading a project (sometimes)
- when typing code into a .py file (sometimes)
- when running the project (always)
What is the cause and how can I fix it?
I have installed the Rasbian IMG file from 2017-11-29 and performed
sudo apt-get update and
sudo apt-get upgrade prior to the PyCharm installation.