So, I was trying to mount my 64 TB array, and it didn't work with the same error. I thought the 2 TB limit has something to do with 32-bit, and it does. Here's the soluion:
Change your raspberry pi kernel to a 64-bit kernel
You can do this with Raspberry Pi 4, not with the older ones. To do this:
First, make sure you're using Debian Buster (version 10) or later by running this:
The output should be:
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
(if it's not buster, please stop... I can't guarantee the outcome. Find out how to upgrade to buster then come back).
Then update and upgrade your system to the latest of everything:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
And then make sure that you DO have the 64-bit kernel file:
If this exists and doesn't give an error, you're probably good to go.
WARNING: This may fail and you may need to revert it. I'll give you an example on how this failed for me and I honestly don't know if there was another reason. But if it does fail, make sure you have a Linux system somewhere where you can edit the configuration file I'll be talking about without booting the system. Simply insert the SD card, and edit
config.txt in the boot partition (which will be a drive on its own in Ubuntu and similar systems).
To switch to 64-bit:
- edit the fail
- find the section
[pi4] in that file
- if the section doesn't exist, add it at the end of the file (simply add
[pi4] at the end of the file)
- after adding that section, add under it
- if it boots, run
uname -a, and it should show you
aarch64 within the text of the result. This means you succeeded.
Now, if it doesn't boot. For me, it didn't boot the first time because I added the
arm_64bit=1 in the wrong section. Quite frankly I have no idea if this is the only reason. But I took my SSD (I don't use an SD card), plugged it into another computer, changed that, and then it booted. So, you gotta give it a shot.
PS: Not everything works out of the box on 64-bit. Kodi, Java and Wolfram Mathematica have problems (not impossible to fix, but needs work). Please investigate these on your own.
After this, mounting my array with mdadm worked.