I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and a RPi 2 for testing these two LoRa modules. I'm having a couple issues... SEE BELOW FOR UPDATED ISSUE
- RPi screen freezes - Whenever I try to test the modules with example code in this library, the screens freeze on both of the Pis.
- RPi Broadcom SoC chip heats up - After the screen freezes, the board gets warmer than it is when the Pi is working fine, which I'm not sure if it's because a large process is going on in the background of if the LoRa is drawing more current after I end the process.
- RPi USB ports lose power - Sometimes this happens before the screen freezes, but a lot of times it's after. I also lose access to ssh/vnc at this point, probably because the WiFi/Ethernet modules lose power also.
What I've tried so far to remedy this:
- Replacing power supply - Number 3 above made me think the power supply was not enough, so I replaced it with a 5.2v 2.4A power supply and that did nothing. I also tried powering the LoRa modules with an external supply that was not linked to the Pi - that also did nothing.
- Replacing Pi - I had an extra Pi 3 on hand and I replaced it with the other Pi 3, to no avail.
I'm thinking the issue may be software related, because when I began testing, my Pi 2 had an older version of Raspbian and I had fewer to no issues.
Occasionally, things run fine on 1 out of the 2 Pis, although the other one still crashes (after the screen freezes, the LoRa continues transmitting for ~10 seconds).
I'm stuck, so any help will be appreciated.
UPDATE: I rolled back my version of Raspbian to 4.9.80 and it started working perfectly - no issues. However, I don't want to be running an old version of Raspbian on my project! Is there anything I can do to fix this?