Recently I have turned on wifi to use my Pi as a wifi to ethernet router. This was purely as I have pihole installed and some devices bypass pihole with hardcoded DNS (Chromecast device and Netflix on my TV). The idea was that I would use iptables to redirect any DNS queries not sent to my pihole as my ISP supplied router doesn't allow this. I haven't quite got that working yet but that's one for another day.
The wifi is all set-up and working - mostly fine. Occasionally (a lot today) the wifi seems to cut out intermittently. There are multiple symptoms of this that I've listed below.
- The Sono's cuts out mid way through a track briefly and then keeps going. This might happen once or several times in a few seconds/minute
- Web browsing will sometimes hang for a bit (happens on multiple devices) and eventually will continue or you reload the page and it might work instantly or might continue to hang for a bit. Sometimes multiple tabs will hang at once - other times it will be just one
- Streaming quality to the TV in will degrade quite a bit for a period of time randomly
- Streaming quality to phone will also degrade for a period of time randomly
- SSH session to the PI can be delayed in displaying whats typed. It does catch up after a few seconds.
Sometimes it will work without many issues for hours. Today it's having quite a few issues every few minutes.
The set-up I have is Devices <-Wifi-> Pi wlan0 <-> br0 <-> eth0 <-eth cable-> router <-> internet
I'm really not sure where to start in diagnosing this. Any advice would be appreciated.