I've been struggling with getting into my Pi from Windows 10. I'm fairly sure the problem is on the Pi side but if so I can't for the life of me work it out.
In short, on Windows I cannot ssh or ping firstname.lastname@example.org using the command line or putty via IPv6 (required by Bonjour apparently). Standard Raspbian install except for vnc server which is not running.
For reference, here is a list of things I already have done/know.
- No problem from Linux - my laptop can ssh into email@example.com without issue, but that uses IPv4.
- SSH from CMD is working on Windows 10 - ssh into firstname.lastname@example.org works (but that's not the point damn it!)
- Bonjour service is running on Windows 10 - have tried restarting it and the computer and it's running fine.
- I can ping with IPv4 from Windows using ping -4 raspberrypi.local - no problem there, normal ping or ping -6 yield a Ping request could not find host raspberrypi.local. Please check the name and try again.
- Avahi-daemon is installed on Pi and up to date, use IPv6=yes in the config file (avahi-daemon.conf) is there as standard. The daemon is running.
- IPv6 is enabled on the Pi(I even added it to the Pi's modules not that that is needed anymore, worth a try).
- Pi is updated, upgraded, up the wazoo.
- The router doesn't appear to be playing silly buggers (it couldn't be as the other tests have worked but I checked and all is normal there - vanilla home router)
Anybody got any ideas to save the little hair I have left?
- As I was writing this I discovered that I cannot ping6 anything from any device. I am beginning to suspect that the router is quietly killing the connection despite apparently supporting it. Has anyone come across this behavior before? Am I barking up a tree I really hope is there for my sanity?
EDIT: Since posting this, I managed to kill my router by disabling the DHCPv6 server and had to reset it to factory setting to get an outside connection again. Also, I don't have ULA mode on as recommended. I've tried ping6 with various devices now and no-one can talk to anyone inside or outside of the network (i.e ping6 email@example.com fails as does ping6 ipv6.google.com). I am fully confused and out of my depth and cursing my curiosity for messing with this when I should be working.