I've followed the excellent instructions at Setting up a Raspberry Pi as an access point - the easy way and have succeeded in setting up my Raspi 3b as a router (Ethernet on the uplink on subnet 192.168.6.0/24, WiFi AP on the internal side with subnet 192.168.8.0/24). Everything is perfect, with an SSID of
foo2. However, if I edit the
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf file to change the SSID to
foo and reboot, nothing can connect. The symptom from the client devices (Android "NETWORK_SELECTION_DISABLED_ASSOCIATION_REJECTION", chromebook "Out of Range", Ubuntu laptop "") is that of an incorrect password. So the
foo SSID is visible, and a connection attempt is made, but it fails.
My reason for changing the SSID from
foo is because I have an existing Ethernet/WiFi router that I'm looking for the Raspi to replace. So once I got the Raspi working, I changed the SSID to that of the old device, which I have turned off.
On the client devices I've tried forgetting the original
foo network and reentering the password, but still no joy. All SSIDS (original
foo) have the same password.
My Router / \ 192.168.6.0/24 Old device Raspi foo and foo2 both work foo foo2 192.168.8.0/24 ______________________________________ My Router / \ 192.168.6.0/24 Raspi foo does not work foo 192.168.8.0/24
WPA: wpa_sm_step() called recursively in the Raspi syslog. I also think I saw that the log file in my failing dhcp-client contains references to the wrong mac address. So maybe there is an ARP cache issue somewhere in the dhcp implementation.