TL;DR, usb-wifi works, but it's extremely (!) slow compared to onboard wifi, even though the dongle has a big antenna and a a better signal quality. I looked far and wide and did all I could find, but to no avail. Seems like this must be a settings issue...
- I have tested the bandwidth with iperf3 on local network and with speedtest-cli and the same results came in.
- The power management is OFF
- sudo apt-get dist-upgrade has been done
- firmware-realtek package is installed and up to date
- The chipset is RTL8188CUS, which is supposedly supported by the firmware-realtek package
The onboard wifi has speeds around
pi@octopi:~ $ speedtest-cli
Download: 29.29 Mbit/s
Upload: 24.50 Mbit/s
with Link Quality
Link Quality=56/70 Signal level=-54 dBm
While the usb wifi has link quality
Link Quality=99/100 Signal level=67/100 Noise level=0/100
but speeds only
Download: 0.34 Mbit/s
Upload: 2.46 Mbit/s
What is happening here?!
Any ideas warmply appreciated!