I need to make a box (STB), which when plugged into TV can display live streaming URLs and can be controlled from remote control. So that a user can have the same experience as of a traditional live TV. One way is to use a Raspberry Pi and make a custom software for that or use openElec with Kodi (XBMC Media Center). Attach a remote control also for easy operation. I am not clear about whether I can get the following features on Raspberry or not:
- Power on/off with remote (Raspberry can go to standby, TV off)
- In case of power outage, Raspberry will boot again. How much time will it take normally to boot? (I haven't used a Raspberry yet, hence asking)
- Upon booting up or coming back from standby mode, it goes straight to showing the stream
- Use remote control to up/down the channels hence the streams
- What do you suggest about software? Kodi (XBMC) which has so many redundant features for me or a custom built?
I will also be thankful for suggestions on hardware in view of the above features. An Android STB or Raspberry Pi will be better?